Re: First Beowulf cluster. Some pointers?

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Alexandre Vitrac wrote:

> I've always been wondering about the scalability of MOSIX. How many
> nodes can you add to a MOSIX cluster before the whole system hangs ?

 The top by internal limitations is 65535, but it is not realistic.
I thing that you can not get that limit with modern network technology.

 8 is good with Ethernet. 14 works fine with fast Ethernet. Using 1Gb
networks or more than 1 network by computer -needs some route table
hack- works fine up to 50 nodes; but it strongly depends on the
application. With more nodes you will need a tree configuration.

> Can you build a *big* and *reliable* MOSIX cluster with CPU and
> disk-intensive applications ?

 Well, I work with homology modelling of proteins between 300 and 800
aminoacids. I thing that is a reasonably heavy problem. ;-)

 Yours:

David

                David Santo Orcero
             irbis@df.ibilce.unesp.br