Re: Request to fast track gitlab dependencies

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> >> The node package manager (npm) is a very important tool for people
> >> developing nodejs applications, and many people were inconvenienced when
> >
> > Don’t *these* kind of people install npm outside of the package
> > manager normally anyway?
>
> surely some of them do *because* it is not available within the package
> manager.  how else would they do it?  Shouldn't we try make available

npm is a package manager itself, so by packaging npm you gain nothing.

It’s by packaging the things one would *otherwise* install with npm
that you gain. I managed to *ahem* subvert the build process of one
of our projects so it works completely with tools (both Java and
Javascript) shipped in Debian (things like uglifyjs, for example),
so it does not require npm *at all*. (Some coworkers use *buntu or
Arch and therefore still have to use that to install what we, in
Debian, have available as packages already.)

Since you gain _nothing_ by packaging npm, having it in backports
somehow seems redundant.

bye,
//mirabilos
--