Re: Request to fast track gitlab dependencies

Reply at bottom
On 20/12/18 2:42 pm, Dominik George wrote:
Hei,
It was a bit demotivating as my idea of debian was to be able to work on anything you want as long as you can keep the packages in good shape and you follow the policy. If anyone cannot continue maintaining packages, other could step up or it gets removed, fully or partially.
I can actually understand both Rhonda and you - I do - to get this done with - agree with you that Rhonda's remarks had a very in-the-flesh tone and in parts read as if filled with personal accusations, and I can relate to you feeling demotivated by them. There is a true core to it and the sorrows expressed are justified - however, in Debian, we all agreed that we always assume good faith in others, and everything starting from "you are only doing this work for your own benefit" I felt was far beyond that an unnecessarily hurting. On the other hand, every maintainer should consider their fellows and also users - yes, other maintainers could step up, and yes, gitlab and all its dependencies could be removed. But this is not something that should be part of a plan - everyone should consider what it means for others to take over, and, agreeing with Rhonda, I see no way of how the shitload of work you have there could ever be expected to be handled by someone else. Speaking of removal, I can relate to that being very nasty, as I am also a user and depend on GitLab in various places. While Debian is a project of volunteers, it is standing out for still being the most excellent and well-supported Linux distribution, and people rely on that. While technically, they can't (as they did not buy any support or developers), we should always consider that taking away something they rely on is not an option, unless it becomes an option ;). Please, always try to have a plan that does not involve "…other could step up or it gets removed" ☺. For what it's worth, I do believe you are putting it that way because you feel somewhat put up against the wall, and I also do believe that you have the best in mind for GitLab in Debian. I also know first-hand that you are very helpful towards users of your package even if they behave stupidly ;). Thanks for that. Thus, I propose we stop discussing how things were done and what your intentions are - that won't get any better for anyone.
I agree to this. We need to find ways where in we have a model in which the concern of "having too many packages" could be addressed in a workable way. Also a system in which one should be able to contribute in without worrying about an upper limit to contribution
in a sustainable way.
Instead, let's drive the volatile/whatever idea foreward - I actually did already find time to put together some ideas, rules and policy drafts, which I will be able to post on the weekend.
Thanks, would be looking forward to reading them.
-nik

- rajudev