Re: Dependency issues upgrading icedove to 10.0.12-1~bpo60+1

On 2013-01-24 06:58, Christopher David Howie wrote:
[cut]
...because there were several libraries and
-dev packages that needed to be upgraded to the bpo version to make the
libcairo2 upgrade successful.
[cut]

Well, there were three packages that needed to be at the backports version:

your libnss3-1d (transitional package) was at the stable version rather than the backports version

your libpixman-1-dev was at the stable version rather than the backports version

your libcairo2-dev was at the stable version rather than the backports version

so, not too difficult for a developer such as yourself with a degree in computer science to figure out.

It might have been good for you to have shared the three things you had to do in the interest of making it easier to figure out for anyone else who encountered a similar issue.

I'm not sure how your libnss3-1d got out of sync with libnss3, mine are both at the backports version. I'd guess that it was an existing condition before you tried to do the Icedove upgrade.

You, and the rest of us, in general probably wouldn't want backports to upgrade things (for example, those dev packages) without giving us a chance to examine the changes first and review the conflicts and dependencies.