Re: backports kernel: support for t430s laptop in backports?

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:20:07AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Harald Dunkel <harald.dunkel@aixigo.de> writes:
>
> > I could live with Squeeze for several years, but I am running out of
> > supported hardware. Unfortunately I cannot upgrade just the hardware
> > dependent packages (kernel, Xwindow drivers, firmware, etc.) within
> > Squeeze and keep the rest. Somehow the new glibc sneaks in, and I have
> > to upgrade _all_ packages to Wheezy. Thats a huge amount of work and a
> > very high risk.  Enterprises try to avoid both.
>
> Needing to upgrade all other packages because glibc was upgraded has not
> been a problem in Debian for years, ever since the new symbols mechanism
> was introduced.  Only binaries that actually require new glibc features
> will require an upgrade.

That's certainly not really true. With glibc's symbol versioning packages
will start to depend on newer glibc versions even if they could use older
ones, as they link to a newer version of a symbol even if the old version
of the symbol is entirely sufficient. That's annoying and causes those
problems.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.