Re: How to install OpenOffice 2.0 backport? Unmet dependencies

Rene Engelhard wrote:
Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
Rene Engelhard wrote:

You can use it with MySQL etc of course with unixodbc. but the internal
engine is hsqldb. which is Java. That's why it depends on Java, most
"normal" users would want the internal db...
Wait, "most normal uses would want" is "Recommends" (or even Suggests), not "Depends".

Oh, get rid of that stupid policy argument. Most users will install base
and wonder why it does not work. Most users don't use aptitude which
installs Recommends per default.

aptitude is, I believe, the default package management tool in sarge. Even apt in sarge displays recommended packages. dselect defaults to (can it even be changed?) installing recommended packages as well, I believe.

The recommendations and requirements of Debian Policy are based on sound technical reasons; suggesting that they be followed is hardly a stupid argument.

Think of users.

If you don't want -base, don't install it. so what? If you don't want
j2sdk1.4 use equivs.

That is an abuse of equivs.

Equivs are for when you install software outside outside of dpkg's control, and wish to make dpkg and friends aware of it. Using equivs to say "ignore that dependency" subverts the packaging system and is /asking/ for breakage. [What happens if I then install software that really, truly does require j2sdk1.4?]

Maybe, but be assured I'd downgrade it to wishlist if you filed it with
something else.

Wishlist is hardly the correct severity for a bug about violating a "should" in policy.

I agree. Well, I could do a OOo backport without java, but that would be
severely crippeld and broken in some instances (like you need Java for
building to get a sane file dialog)

Alternatively, what's wrong with putting it in contrib on backports.org?