How to install OpenOffice 2.0 backport? Unmet dependencies

[Please CC me. I'm not subscribed and Thunderbird seems to give no way to set Mail-Followup-To. Thanks.]

# apt-get install -t sarge-backports openoffice.org  openoffice.org-base
openoffice.org-base: Depends: java-gcj-compat but it is not going to be installed or
                                j2re1.4 but it is not installable or
                                java2-runtime but it is not installable

Ok, j2re1.4 and java2-runtime have no candidates, and nothing provides them. java-gcj-compat is only in unstable, not sarge or sarge-backports:

$ apt-cache policy java-gcj-compat
java-gcj-compat:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.0.51-1
  Version Table:
     1.0.51-1 0
        100 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages

Does openoffice.org's database package really need Java? Can it work with just unixodbc?