Re: Strech on TS-109 (Orion) Stucks

Hi Martin,

On 22/02/2018 22:24, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Arthur Lutz <arthur@lutz.im> [2018-02-22 21:51]:
>> I've added some info to
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=890262#51 but this
>> might be a different problem.
> They are different.  The bug report is about the size issue.
Sorry about putting this in the wrong place.

>> So I tried with the initrd and kernel from the stretch installer from
>> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-armel/current/images/orion5x/network-console/qnap/ts-109/
>> I tried with the padding for the kernel as suggested in
>> http://www.cyrius.com/debian/orion/qnap/ts-109/recovery/  (dd if=kernel
>> of=kernel.pad ibs=2097152 conv=sync) but that is obviously not useful.
> Padding the kernel won't make a difference.  Padding the kernel is
> only required when creating a recovery image because you're combining
> several files into one.

Yep, thanks for the formal explanation.

>> In the end, I got it to boot to installer with
>> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armel/current/images/orion5x/network-console/qnap/ts-109/
>> I now have to find out how to do the equivalent of grub-upgrade on the
>> previous kernel. But while I'm in this state, I can help out debug this
>> problem.
> This blog entry might help:
> http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/installer-flash-kernel
> Instead of update-initramfs run flash-kernel and the version of the
> kernel.
Yes, I managed to do the equivalent. By the way I tried the 4.13 kernel
from backports and it had the same behaviour as the 4.9. So I went back
into the installer and removed both 4.x kernels and flash-kernel
correctly re-flashed the 3.x one. Which works fine !

> Now as to why the stretch kernel doesn't work for some people... I'm
> pretty sure the ARM kernel has EARLY_PRINTK enabled so you could try
> adding earlyprintk to the cmd line options.
>
> Take kernel and ramdisk from
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-armel/current/images/orion5x/network-console/qnap/ts-109/
>
> setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200n8 earlyprintk root=/dev/ram rw initrd=0x800000,0x3fffff
> tftpboot 0x0800000 initrd
> tftpboot 0x400000 kernel
> bootm 0x400000

Oh, sorry, I was kind of hyped that it rebooted correctly in 3.x, that I
forgot my offer and disconnected the serial cable and closed the
enclosure. If this is usefull to others, I can test that out in the next
few days.

Arthur

ps. by the way Martin, thank you so much for your efforts to get debian
working on this and the sheevaplug, I have been following your
documentation for years and it's just awesome!