Re: xset +dpms is not controlling monitor powerdown on raspberry pi 3b

On Monday 09 January 2017 09:47:33 Alan Corey wrote:

> >> 1860NX). So even if ones budget doesn't run to an HDMI monitor or
> >> TV, there's a fair number of these on eBay.
>
> The best deal on a cheap HDMI monitor I've been able to find is
> actually a TV.  It has HDMI, VGA, RCA type analog video inputs.  It
> has a DVD drive tucked in behind the screen, you can plug a USB memory
> stick or SD card into it to view pictures or play MP3s.  And it runs
> on 12 volts: comes with a wall wart and I think also a cord with a
> cigarette lighter plug, but it has a standard 2.1 or 2.5 mm coaxial
> power input jack.
>
> Try to find a 12 volt HDMI monitor otherwise and they're expensive.  I
> bought it to use with my DSLR for focusing so it at least had to run
> on a battery pack and be portable.  I've used it, not extensively yet,
> connected to a Pi, with the HDMI input.  Then I tried connecting it to
> a 6 meter ground plane antenna in the attic and discovered a TV
> station showing every episode of all 5 Star Trek series, so right now
> it gets used as a TV.  The only problem I've had is that after
> dropping it a dozen times or so on a concrete floor the mute button on
> the remote is sluggish.
>
> I bought the 13 inch, but the same electronics are also used with
> bigger displays.  Looks like they all use 1333x768 resolution.

That's a wee bit odd, std in that category is 1366x768.
> The
> EDID does work correctly with a Pi, you can use it without a
> config.txt file.  A menu, reachable by remote, switches between the
> inputs.  I bought a 13 inch for $140 but Walmart lists a few at $125
> now.  They're made up to at least 32 inch.
> https://www.axessusa.com/product-category/televisions/television-dvd-c
>ombo I have a tvd1801-13, I see there's also a tvd1803, don't know
> anything about that.  Newer model I think.
>
> > I bought some of those covers for the logitek k-360 keyboards, but
> > the form fitted to the keys stuff could turn inside out and would
> > hold a key down.  It was much worse than just being carefull. This
> > was on a medium
>
> Have you considered a touch screen?
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-touch-display/
> That's smallish at 7 inches but one-piece computer-monitor combos are
> all the rage on alibaba.

Thats about 15" too small AND alibaba owes me several hundred for stuff I
bought because the only way to contact them is browser based, and uses
something to enable the text entry that no linux browser has.  I give
most such off-shore outfits the benefit of the doubt, figuring they will
fix it in due time, but after several $100+ purchases that I needed help
with, I am fresh out of doubt for alibaba. They are now in my "and the
camel that rode in on them" category.

> A capacitive keyboard doesn't need to be much more than 2 spirals for
> each "key" etched as printed circuit traces.  When you touch it the
> capacitance at that key changes.  That can  be mounted behind
> something like a flat sheet of glass and still adjusted to work.
> Whatever gets on the surface you just wipe off.  The glass could be
> Pyrex like some stove tops.  It takes at least a propane-oxygen flame
> to get hot enough to melt Pyrex, almost white hot.  Probably a lot of
> reinventing the wheel to bring all that out to a USB plug unless you
> can find something surplus.

The one maker I found via a google search is VERY proud of it, $250
worth, and apparently made to order with a nearly 75 day a.r.o. to ship.
For obvious reasons I've already forgotten that name as thats way out of
my pay grade. :-\

But this isn't fixing the dpms non-function.  OTOH, I've not rebooted
since changing that .conf file I found.  I have to run into town for
some #10 ring lugs, so I'll do that right now & post if it was a success
later, because it should turn itself back off when I return from town &
turn it on. And when I returned the whole network had been reset, short
local power failure at 13:16 had rebooted 4 of them, and the 5th has not
yet been trained to auto-start when the power came back because my
generator is up and delivering in about 3 seconds.

When I went out and turned the monitor on, the blanker had quit, but it
stayed powered up and sitting in black for the minute I observed it.
Back inside I see that after another 20 minutes, something called xlyap
has kicked in and is burning a bit over 70% of one core. (gotta get
aiglx working, hint hint) I assume thats one of the animated
screensavers.

But I have work to do that will shut it down, so I'd better git-r-done.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)