Re: xset +dpms is not controlling monitor powerdown on raspberry pi 3b

On Monday 09 January 2017 06:11:46 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> On 08/01/17 18:00, Alan Corey wrote:
> > No luck with that here either, it would be very handy to have.  But
> > then I'm using an HDMI->VGA adapter and my monitor is ancient.  I
> > think the standard was that when horizontal and vertical sync pulses
> > both go away the monitor's supposed to immediately switch off or
> > after a delay period.  An adapter shouldn't interfere with that.
> > Never happens though.
> >
>  > On 1/8/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
>  >> Greetings folks;
>  >>
>  >> Running LXDE.
>
> Watching the thread with interest. We use pukka Debian here installed
> on top of Raspbian (in order to get the most up to date loader and RPi
> kernel). /However/, we select KDE as the window manager AKA desktop,
> and in general screens stay up etc. as configured.
>
> Having said that, one of my colleagues is experiencing problems where
> all of a sudden the RPi or HDMI-connected monitor stops displaying
> anything. Disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI appears to fix that,
> but nothing relevant is logged explaining the outage; hence we agree
> that
>
> > X needs to talk to the GPU better.
>
> although we'd note that we see not-dissimilar problems on an Odroid
> C2, so (and in an effort to keep this OT) there might be generic
> problems affecting multiple ARM platforms and Debian derivatives.
>
> I find that an RPi 2 or 3 drives its HDMI in such a way that a passive
> adapter suffices to drive an NEC Multisync LCD (specifically, an
> 1860NX). So even if ones budget doesn't run to an HDMI monitor or TV,
> there's a fair number of these on eBay.
>
> Apart from that we use classic IBM keyboards here, which are fairly
> resistant to foreign bodies and for which it certainly used to be
> possible to get squishy covers to keep (in the case of one of our
> former customers) printing ink out.

I bought some of those covers for the logitek k-360 keyboards, but the
form fitted to the keys stuff could turn inside out and would hold a key
down.  It was much worse than just being carefull. This was on a medium
sized mill, and I will have to install a lexan baffle on the left side
of my sitdown operating position when I have this lathe actually making
swarf. Swarf from the mill is more broadcasting it with an air hose to
keep the area clean enough to see what its doing. I have a vacuum rigged
for g-code control but its a constant battle to keep the nozzle in
position to do a good job of sucking up the swarf as its always getting
knocked out of position as the mill moves. I've made a cyclone dust
separator for it, so the vacs filter stays pretty clean as better than
99.9% of it winds up in the 5 gallon plastic pail under it.

> Of course a lot depends on what colour the swarf is glowing :-)

With quality carbide indexable tooling, it might be orange or better
since carbide is still happy at 6000F :) With more normal HSS tooling
glow in the dark red.  Even that will soften and degrade the edge too
fast, so its wise to use a directed coolant stream with HSS tooling.
Thats in the schedule at some point. :)  All this stuff is bring money
and I'm on SS, so its slower to accumulate the sheckels. It also means I
make a lot of stuff rather than buying it. Sweat equity. ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)