Re: xset +dpms is not controlling monitor powerdown on raspberry pi 3b

>> 1860NX). So even if ones budget doesn't run to an HDMI monitor or TV,
>> there's a fair number of these on eBay.

The best deal on a cheap HDMI monitor I've been able to find is
actually a TV.  It has HDMI, VGA, RCA type analog video inputs.  It
has a DVD drive tucked in behind the screen, you can plug a USB memory
stick or SD card into it to view pictures or play MP3s.  And it runs
on 12 volts: comes with a wall wart and I think also a cord with a
cigarette lighter plug, but it has a standard 2.1 or 2.5 mm coaxial
power input jack.

Try to find a 12 volt HDMI monitor otherwise and they're expensive.  I
bought it to use with my DSLR for focusing so it at least had to run
on a battery pack and be portable.  I've used it, not extensively yet,
connected to a Pi, with the HDMI input.  Then I tried connecting it to
a 6 meter ground plane antenna in the attic and discovered a TV
station showing every episode of all 5 Star Trek series, so right now
it gets used as a TV.  The only problem I've had is that after
dropping it a dozen times or so on a concrete floor the mute button on
the remote is sluggish.

I bought the 13 inch, but the same electronics are also used with
bigger displays.  Looks like they all use 1333x768 resolution.  The
EDID does work correctly with a Pi, you can use it without a
config.txt file.  A menu, reachable by remote, switches between the
inputs.  I bought a 13 inch for $140 but Walmart lists a few at $125
now.  They're made up to at least 32 inch.
https://www.axessusa.com/product-category/televisions/television-dvd-combo
 I have a tvd1801-13, I see there's also a tvd1803, don't know
anything about that.  Newer model I think.

> I bought some of those covers for the logitek k-360 keyboards, but the
> form fitted to the keys stuff could turn inside out and would hold a key
> down.  It was much worse than just being carefull. This was on a medium

Have you considered a touch screen?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-touch-display/
That's smallish at 7 inches but one-piece computer-monitor combos are
all the rage on alibaba.

A capacitive keyboard doesn't need to be much more than 2 spirals for
each "key" etched as printed circuit traces.  When you touch it the
capacitance at that key changes.  That can  be mounted behind
something like a flat sheet of glass and still adjusted to work.
Whatever gets on the surface you just wipe off.  The glass could be
Pyrex like some stove tops.  It takes at least a propane-oxygen flame
to get hot enough to melt Pyrex, almost white hot.  Probably a lot of
reinventing the wheel to bring all that out to a USB plug unless you
can find something surplus.

--
Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX