Re: xset +dpms is not controlling monitor powerdown on raspberry pi 3b

On Monday 09 January 2017 10:52:46 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> > The best deal on a cheap HDMI monitor I've been able to find is
> > actually a TV.  It has HDMI, VGA, RCA type analog video inputs.  It
> > has a DVD drive tucked in behind the screen, you can plug a USB
> > memory stick or SD card into it to view pictures or play MP3s.  And
> > it runs on 12 volts: comes with a wall wart and I think also a cord
> > with a cigarette lighter plug, but it has a standard 2.1 or 2.5 mm
> > coaxial power input jack.
>
> I've got a big 4K TV here (replacing my earlier experiments with xdmx
> etc.) but after possibly a year's use there's definitely degradation
> of the pixels or underlying active elements. By comparison, both a
> Philips monitor and my old NEC are rock-solid. It /definitely/ needs
> config.txt magic, which is a PITA if I have to move RPis around. So
> that philosophy is workable, but one needs to budget for a
> replacement.

I am using a 22" Samsung tv on the bigger mill, 9 yo, only problem is the
ccfl backlight is slow to reach full brightness. The lamp psu caps are
probably suffering from bulged tops (again, replaced once), so they have
to reach "operating" temperature.  But the pix is perfect after 2 or 3
minutes. I bought a pair of them when we made the changeover to hi-def
on June 30th, 2008.  That one failed its tuner years ago but as a
monitor its great.  The other one is hanging on a swing mount in my
bedroom, working just as well as when new after all these years.  My
lady's tv has been replaced and is now a 42" LG, and needs a new remote,
but my lady is a channel surfer when she has one eye open. She had
cataracts removed from both eyes about a year ago, and when she saw that
after the patches came off, she was amazed a tv could be that bright and
sharp.  Mine are getting bothersome too, so one of these days when it
starts to warm up, I'll investigate my plan F.

> >> I bought some of those covers for the logitek k-360 keyboards, but
> >> the form fitted to the keys stuff could turn inside out and would
> >> hold a key down.  It was much worse than just being carefull. This
> >> was on a medium
>
> Logitech should have stuck to selling compilers.

Thats a different company I believe.

> I want an APL keyboard. One of those controlling CAM kit would be
> decidedly cool :-)

APL? Not fam with that acronym.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)