Re: Debian and QEMU virtio-net-device

Ian/Lennart,

Just a quick update - been busy and haven't had much of a chance to work
on it.  But I wanted to update you before I hit the hay - you've been so
much help.

I tried adding mmci to the modules list and rebuilding initrd.  The
result was a kernel panic.  No command line to check status.  After a
lot of fooling around, I finally decided to start from scratch.

I did an apt-get purge linux-image-3.16.0-4-armmp and deleted the
related files from /boot.  I removed mmci from the
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules file and reinstalled the above package.

The result was the same as before - no disk.  So, to set a checkpoint, I
saved the files in /boot and did update-initramfs -u -k 3.16.0-4-armmp.
Copied the files to the host - and voila - when I booted, I had a disk.
I had to add "root=mmcblk0p2" to the -append line, and the system booted
with the correct OS.

After adding the virtio network lines to the startup script, I still
don't have virtual networking working (looks like it's still a SLIRP
connection).  But at least I'm making progress.  And it's past my
bedtime.  Tomorrow comes early.  Hopefully I can work on the network
tomorrow, but so far it looks like a pretty busy day.

Thanks again.  Not much of an update, but I didn't want to keep you
hanging, either.

Jerry