Re: Which port for armv4l?

On 2016-08-12 16:44 +0200, Adam Wysocki wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2016, Wookey wrote:
>
> > > Maybe it's a stupid and offtopic question, but how to download it? I tried
> > > git clone -b arm/netwinder https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git
> > > but it downloaded whole 4.8.0-rc1 kernel tree. I'd prefer to apply this
> > > as a patch to 4.7.0...
> >
> > You want this commit:
> > https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git/commit/?h=arm/netwinder&id=6d833b52d0591b47ee65ef2808c459a99f1d37ec
>
> Thanks, I downloaded it and patched 4.7 seamlessly. I have some problems
> compiling the kernel, but it might be related to my old gcc (3.4.5).
> Debian has packaged arm-none-eabi-gcc 4.8.4, should it work? I want to
> avoid building my own toolchain...

You mean your native gcc on the old arm machine is 3.4.5? So you are
pondering cross-building? arm-none-eabi-gcc is intended for embedded
targets. You want gcc-*-arm-linux-gnueabi

Info on installing cross-toolchains is here:
https://wiki.debian.org/CrossToolchains
(somewhat out of date as ever, but it's a good start)
This is easier in stretch as gcc-5* in in the archive.
On Jessie you need to use an external archive.

> > or if you want the alternative (faster) dynamic translation option, these 2:
> > https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git/commit/?h=arm/netwinder&id=72797818a31d37a7ec28db659afcab0a56d47968
> > https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git/commit/?h=arm/netwinder&id=ad13b838db8f3474393298963da73c6f2095739a
>
> This code is pure magic :)
>
> Thanks Wookey!