Re: Which port for armv4l?

>> Reminds me that I wish there was some kind of "Debian from Source"
>> effort which would make it easy to install specific packages by
>> compiling them locally.  So you'd get a slightly Gentoo-ish flavor
>> of Debian.
> Are you talking about something like this?
> https://wiki.debian.org/HelmutGrohne/rebootstrap

I was thinking more about locally compiling *some* package rather than
doing the full bootstrap, but yes, that's also part of the idea.

>> In the above situation, you could then recompile locally the few
>> packages whose performance matters such that they stick to armv4l
>> instructions and hence avoid the slow emulation trap.
> That should be easy to do now if you have the right toolchain.

Hmm... indeed I now see that "apt-get -b source <packagename>" should
build that package for me.

I guess all I'm still missing is some community of tweakers adding
facilities to set global compilation flags to use for all those
recompiled packages and things like that, so you don't have to do it by
hand for each and every package you want to recompile with your
own compilation flags.

        Stefan