Re: Flattened Device Tree on SheevaPlug and Linux 3.15

On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 16:19 +0100, Stuart Winter wrote:
> > > the FTD blob when it's been loaded itself.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean here. u-boot needs to be told to pass an fdt
> > (which must already be in RAM) by passing the address as the third
> > argument to bootm or bootz. If you don't have an initrd (the second
> > argument) then use "-".
>
> The DTB was loaded like this:
>  dhcp;tftpboot 0x5880000 dtb/kirkwood-sheevaplug.dtb
>
> And its memory location supplied as the 3rd argument -- this is how I have
> it working on the TrimSlice.
>
>  bootm 0x00800000 0x01100000 0x5880000
>
> I could try another memory location I suppose but I'm not sure that this
> is the cause of the reason for its absence, since I use identical memory
> locations on both the Trimslice and SheevaPlugs for the initrd, kernel and
> FTD.

Did you try the appending method and have it work?

Do e.g. the kernels currently in testing and/or experimental work for
you?

BTW in your original message you said:
> The 'Machine:' line should indicate the model number (according to
> various posts I've found around FTD and U-Boot).

I think that's only the case for non-FDT boardfile booting. For booting
via FDT the "Machine: Marvell Kirkwood (Flattened Device Tree)" which
you report seems correct to me.

One other thing you could try is clearing machid in the environment, it
isn't supposed to be used for fdt booting and perhaps its presence is
confusing something.

Other than that I think we are into "report it upstream" territory. The
guys who work on kirkwood upstream are usually pretty responsive, I've
found.