Encrytion on a QNAP

Hello,

since I have to reinstall my NAS on a new HDD, I thought it would be a good idea to set up encryption this time. But I'm not sure how exactly I should start on this.

I think the standard way to do this is using the dm-crypt facilities built into the Debian installer. Now, will this work with a headless machine where I can't enter anything on boot time?

If it's possible to disable SWAP and encrypt /home, could it be mounted remotely after boot? And what about services that run on those volumes, they should surely start after the mount, shouldn't they?

Finally, is this even a good idea? Will it cost too much performance? I'm using a TS-119 and am not sure if any crypto would be accelerated.

Thanks,
Lee