Re: ARMHF - Mediaplayer software?

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 01:02:17AM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>
>> Calm down.
>
> i'm perfectly calm.  i apologise for giving the impression that i'm
>not.  you may have mistaken the strength of the words for my emotional
>state.  i can assure you that the two are not linked.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you had lost your
temper and therefore self control. Oh well.

>> You may have some
>> (justified) dislike of the Pi, but there is absolutely no need nor
>> justification to abuse others in the Debian community because of that.
>
> it's not abuse: i'm asking - reasonably i believe - that discussion
>of a device which has nothing to do with debian-arm software not be
>discussed on debian-arm [and using strong words to emphasise that].
>
> is that an unreasonable request, steve?

I believe so, yes. The Raspbian folks are valued members of the Debian
community. They're working on a derived distro that better supports
hardware that you (and a number of other folks) don't like, as we all
know. But dislike of that hardware and the companies involved in
producing it is no excuse for ranting and raving here, at them. These
guys are working on a Debian-derived (in fact, basically just
Debian-*rebuilt*) distro for a particular piece of ARM-powered
hardware. I personally think that's just fine and on-topic here, just
as much as discussions about running Debian on other ARM-based
hardware or discusssions about developing new hardware options for
running Debian and other Free Software.

I might feel differently if they were swamping the list with dozens of
posts per day; that would then justify a separate list purely for the
sake of traffic. But they're not.

If you are so against reading anything about Raspbian etc., then I
must echo Paul Wise's response: you will need to filter your
mail. Raspbian and Pi stuff *will* continue to show up here, I
guarantee it. Invective from you isn't going to change that, instead
it makes you look bad. I hope you don't want that.

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...