Re: ARM kernel cross compilation issues for iMX53

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 07:19:28AM +0100, peter green wrote:
>Rogério Brito wrote:
>>Nice that this was brought up, so I can ask: are all ARM machine generally
>>memory-starved, in comparison with other platforms?
>Compared with PC hardware definately. There are a couple of modern
>arm boards
>i'm aware of with 1GB (panda and imx53 quickstart) but even 1GB isn't really
>enough for building large C++ applications in a reasonable time.  For
>example
>the most recent build of webkit on one of the debian armhf buildds (IMX53
>quickstart with laptop hard drive for swap) took over 52 hours.
>
>I know at least one of the armel buildds has 1.5GB but I think the
>board it is running on is discontinued or at least hard to find.

See http://blog.einval.com/2010/09/27#marvell_buildds for more details
- we have 6 machines with this spec, using Marvell DB-78x00-BP
development boards. I don't know if they're still available, but
they're only ARMv5.

>IIRC HP are talking about some arm based servers which may well
>aleviate this issue but I have no idea how much they plan to charge.

They'll be the Calxeda-based machines. The first version is the
Highbank: quad-core Cortex A9, 4GB RAM on a single daughter
card. Designed for consolidating servers, but each individual "blade"
should be reasonable cost I hope.

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt