Re: ARM kernel cross compilation issues for iMX53

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Mike Thompson <mpthompson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm cross-compiling a kernel for the iMX53 Quick Start Board following the
> instructions found at the following link:
>
> http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/i.MX53+Quick+Start
>
> The compilation environment is a clean install of Ubuntu 11.10 with the
> gcc-4.6-arm-linux-gnueabi package installed via apt-get.
>
> During the kernel compilation, the build quits with the following errors:

>   CC      init/version.o
>   LD      init/built-in.o
>   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
> drivers/built-in.o: In function `_do_div.part.1':
> staging.c:(.text+0x1467c8): undefined reference to `__aeabi_uldivmod'
> staging.c:(.text+0x1467f4): undefined reference to `__aeabi_uldivmod'
> staging.c:(.text+0x146830): undefined reference to `__aeabi_uldivmod'
> staging.c:(.text+0x146910): undefined reference to `__aeabi_uldivmod'
> staging.c:(.text+0x14692c): undefined reference to `__aeabi_uldivmod'
> drivers/built-in.o:staging.c:(.text+0x146944): more undefined references to
> `__aeabi_uldivmod' follow
>
> Poking around the Internet I found out I can avoid these errors by making
> sure the configuration parameter CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y is not set
> during the build.  When I comment this out from the build script, the kernel
> does indeed build for me.
>
> The question I have is this. Does not having CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y
> cause any problems for the resulting kernel?
>
> Any insight into this would be appreciated.
>
> Mike Thompson

(forgot debian-arm cc)

Hi Mike,

As author of that page/script, that config setting isn't actually
required, it's more useful for debugging purposes while compiling the
kernel... I just haven't configured it to be a selected option yet, so
it's just always on by default in my script...  (and i dropped using
ubuntu around 11.04, so i appreciate the error report and will make it
selectable..)

http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH.html

It's now fixed, so other ubuntu 11.10 user's should run into the issue:
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/imx-devel/commit/0687fc2e681b3a960c62e996f2bd9d42aa8ce640

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson