Re: Problems debootstrapping armhf

On 15/10/11 03:43, peter green wrote:
[...]
> If I were you I would just add it manually (using your PC)

Problem found: dpkg is actually in unreleased, and not in unstable, so
debootstrap couldn't find it. Also, debootstrap was dying in really
weird ways without producing any diagnostics; you have to look at the
logfile to figure out whether it succeeded or not.

I did eventually get it working using multistrap, and the following
configuration file:

---snip---
[General]
noauth=false
unpack=true
cleanup=false
bootstrap=debianports-unreleased debianports-unstable
aptsources=debianports-unreleased debianports-unstable
addimportant=true

[debianports-unreleased]
packages=wpasupplicant
source=http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian
keyring=debian-ports-archive-keyring
suite=unreleased
omitdebsrc=true

[debianports-unstable]
source=http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian
keyring=debian-ports-archive-keyring
suite=unstable
omitdebsrc=true
---snip---

In addition:

- the qemu chroot stuff (which is a neat trick, BTW) won't work without
installing binfmt-support (which isn't mentioned).

- I had to set 'APT::Immediate-Configure "false"' to make the kernel
installation stage work.

- /boot/bootimg.cfg must not have trailing newlines.

- by default the root password appears to be unset, which means you
can't log in; but CTRL+ALT+STRANGE_COGWHEEL_KEY will at least reboot
cleanly...

But it does now appear to be working, although there are some oddities.
Next stop, wireless. (Sigh. I remember the good old days when you could
get preinstalled root filesystem images.)

│
│ "Under communism, man exploits man. Under capitalism, it's just the
│ opposite." --- John Kenneth Galbrith