Re: [Fwd: Upgrading kernel on Sheevaplug requires SD card to be removed and re-inserted]

* John Winters <john@sinodun.org.uk> [2010-04-16 08:16]:
> Can you expand on that step a bit?  It seems to me that I am already
> booting with an explicit root= parameter.
>
> setenv bootargs_root 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p2'
>
> Obviously I need to adjust to the new root partition, but do I need to
> do something extra?

Well, you don't actually need the root= parameter because Debian puts
the name of the root device into the ramdisk itself.  But since you're
changing your root partition, the information in the ramdisk is wrong
and therefore you need the parameter in order to boot.

> > and run
> >   update-initramfs -u
> What does this step do?

It will update the name of the root partition in the ramdisk.

In any case, bootargs_root doesn't hurt.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/