Re: [Fwd: Upgrading kernel on Sheevaplug requires SD card to be removed and re-inserted]

* John Winters <john@sinodun.org.uk> [2010-04-15 19:27]:
> I think I may have worked out what the problem is.  As I mentioned in a
> separate e-mail to you, my SD card has only two partitions instead of
> the three recommended by your installation instructions, and I assumed
> when I re-read the instructions earlier today that they must have changed.
>
> However, perhaps they haven't changed - perhaps I just did it for some
> demented reason back last year when I first set things up.  Without a
> separate /boot partition it might be that the boot loader sometimes can

Yeah, you're right.

I changed the guide to recommend a separate /boot partition because
various users reported problems loading the kernel when only one large
partition was used.  This describes exactly what you see.

I suggest you tar up your data, change the partition layout, untar it
and change /etc/fstab.  Then boot with an explicit root= parameter (for
your new root partition) and run
  update-initramfs -u
Then everything should be fine.

--