Re: [Fwd: Upgrading kernel on Sheevaplug requires SD card to be removed and re-inserted]

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
[snip]
> I suggest you tar up your data, change the partition layout, untar it
> and change /etc/fstab.

Thank you - I will do that today and report back on how I get on.

>  Then boot with an explicit root= parameter (for
> your new root partition)

Can you expand on that step a bit?  It seems to me that I am already
booting with an explicit root= parameter.

setenv bootargs_console console=ttyS0,115200
setenv bootargs_root 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p2'
setenv bootcmd_mmc 'mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0 0x01100000 /uInitrd;
ext2load mmc 0 0x00800000 /uImage'
setenv bootcmd 'setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) $(bootargs_root);
run bootcmd_mmc; bootm 0x00800000 0x01100000'
saveenv

Obviously I need to adjust to the new root partition, but do I need to
do something extra?

> and run
>   update-initramfs -u

What does this step do?