Re: ts209ii to ts219p hw upgrade w/ present hd config

* John Holland <john.holland@cellent-fs.de> [2009-07-29 12:18]:
> 1) backup vital data in the current system.

Don't forget to make a backup of the flash.

> 2) flash the mtd's as per Martins' site says here w/o any hds:
>    http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/unpack.html
>
> 3) reboot the system
>
> 4) turn off the system and put in the two disks from the current hw
>
> 5) boot the system and upgrade debian
>
> I think I'm missing a step in the list -> tell debian where to boot: in
> my case a md, more specifically a raid 1 configuration.

One step you're missing is to install the kernel for the TS-219P.  The
TS-209 is based on the Orion plaform whereas the TS-219P uses the
Kirkwood platform, so you'll need the Kirkwood kernel.

So, install the following kernel package on the TS-209:

  wget http://people.debian.org/~tbm/orion/old/linux-image-2.6.29-2-kirkwood_2.6.29-5_armel.deb
  sudo dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.29-2-kirkwood_2.6.29-5_armel.deb

It will first install the kernel, then generate the ramdisk and then
print an error saying that this kernel doesn't match your
sub-architecture (that's okay - just ignore the error).

Then you can download mtd1.bz2/mtd2.bz2, unpack them and put them in
flash on the TS-219P (after making backups of flash).

Of course, the mtd2 file assumed that your root device is sda2.
You could repack the initramfs (mtd2) and change the root device:

  bzip2 -d mtd2.bz2
  mkdir i
  cd i
  zcat ../mtd2 | sudo cpio -i
  sudo perl -pi -e "s/sda2/md0/" conf/param.conf
  find . | sudo cpio --quiet -o -H newc > ../new-mtd2
  cd ..
  gzip -9 new-mtd2
  dd if=new-mtd2.gz of=new-mtd2 ibs=9437184 conv=sync

When you write this to flash and then put the disk into the TS-219P,
it should (hopefully) boot.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/