[RE: Some help needed to install Lenny on the Intel SS4000-E nas]

Hi Martin,

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 07:15:33AM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * JF Straeten <jfstraeten@scarlet.be> [2009-07-30 20:34]:
> >     	"QNAP TS-109/TS-209" | "QNAP TS-119/TS-219" | "QNAP TS-409")
> > 		in-target update-initramfs -u || true
> > 		if ! apt-install uboot-mkimage; then
> > 			error "apt-install uboot-mkimage failed"
> > 		fi
> > 	"Lanner EM7210")
> > 		in-target update-initramfs -u || true
> > 	;;
>
> Thanks for the note.

I'm more than happy to help a little bit !

> I uploaded a fixed package yesterday, so the installer should now
> work.

I've seen, thanks ;)

But it remains a(nother) problem : the kernel doesn't boot after
flashing...

I've taken the installed kernel and initrd out of the nas --- d-i
rescue mode is a great tool ! :-) --- and copied them on my tftp
server.

Next, I've done the step pointed by Arnaud for the Lenny kernel :

( devio 'wl 0xe3a01c04,4' 'wl 0xe38110bc,4'; cat vmlinuz-2.6.30-1-iop32x ) > vmlinuz.ss4000e

with lenny's devio command (AMD64), and this modified kernel boots
fine !...

... at least to the extend that after booting, it doesn't find the
root device (but this is probably only related to the fact that I've
reflashed it under the rescue environnement before trying by tftp, and
the scrit hasn't found the correct root device. I'm trying to solde
this.).

So, regarding the flashing process, I'm suspecting that the problem is
related to "set machine ID 1212" part of the flash-kernel script, but
the used command seems to be the same...

It leads me to this candid question : are / do the devio commands the
same things in sid and lenny, or on ARM and AMD64 ?

As a side note, the results are exactly the same with the Lenny kernel
(2.6.26) which boots if tftp loaded, but not when flashed.

So, to sumarize :

- when flashed, the sid (2.6.30) [or lenny (2.6.26)] kernels don't
  boot for now ;

- but when devio'ed on a lenny AMD64 machine AND loaded by tftp, they
  do fine.

If you want me to do something to narrow down further the problem,
feel free to ask, I will be more than happy to help :-)

Also, I've a screen dump out of minicom of the two boot process
(2.6.26 and 2.6.30) if tey can be of any help.

Thanks in advance,

--

J.-F. STRAETEN

---