Re: "offline" install of Etch to SATA HDDs for MyBook World?

> Thanks for that; since I'm an IT guy and haven't done any embedded work (gee, am I on the wrong platform here? ;-) )

Certainly not!  Once you're over to Debian, it's all pretty much the same from
an IT perspective regardless of the particulars of the platform.

And, I think that the more "I haven't done any embedded work"-type guys we can
get to come over to the light side, the better off we'll all be.  Welcome aboard!

> this device doesn't even come close to true gigabit throughput on the NIC

No opinions on your (1) or (2), since I'm not an IT guy.

But as for (3), that's a known characteristic of any device like the MyBook,
NSLU2, Thecus N*, etc. because the CPUs in such devices top out at < 500 MIPS,
and the boxes themselves don't do a lot of hardware-assisted packet manipulation
or disk i/o.  So the CPU is pretty busy doing such things itself, and quickly
becomes a bottleneck.

But the price is right, and the target audience of these devices probably never
notices anyway--- all they seem to want is something with an RJ45 jack that
creates an icon on their XP or Vista Desktop.

I say more power to 'em, because what we get in return is cheap hardware that
can be "liberated" from such mundane work for more useful purposes.  :)

If you really need 1GB throughput, you need something substantially more
expensive than any device you've mentioned so far.  Something with a lot of
smart hardware between the ethernet jack and the disk--- and not just a faster CPU!

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@billgatliff.com