"offline" install of Etch to SATA HDDs for MyBook World?

I have two WD MyBook World Edition II NAS drives (1 TB, 2-drive model) that I have hacked into (mostly starting SSH and NOT starting Mionet) by putting the drives into a Linux-i386 box, editing several files in /etc, and putting them back.

Apparently, WD used to ship the WorldBook with GCC on it, but there is no GCC installed on either of these boxes, so it's a bear to install any new packages on them.  What I would *really* like to do is to take two new, identical 80-160 GB SATA drives, partition them appropriately to run in "mirrored" mode (in effect, if the MyBook uses hardware RAID, make one HD and clone it; not sure what to do if it uses SW RAID), use an i386 PC running Etch to install a full ARM Etch distro onto these HDs, then put the HDs back into the MyBook.  At least that way, it would be a Debian system with GCC and dpkg on it...

Do any of you know of a way to use an i386 Etch workstation to install a binary ARM distribution onto an "additional" set of HDs?  If I do this while Etch is running on the PC, will it mess up some or all of the critical config files such as grub.conf and fstab by putting the "wrong" device/partition IDs (e.g., sdc1 instead of sda1) everywhere, which are actually "correct" when installed in the PC, but would immediately become incorrect when transferred back to the MyBook?

Also, WD does put the source code for everything on the MyBook WEII on their website
( http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=107&sid=64&lang=en ).
Do any of you know if any of this is necessary, especially for custom hardware drivers, or will the stock Etch ARM kernel have all of the necessary modules for any hardware in the MyBook?  Do any of you know if this box uses hardware or software RAID?

Anyone done anything like this?  Any thoughts/help/links would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan Jonsen

Daniel E. Jonsen
I.T. Systems Manager

Implant Sciences Corporation