Re: "offline" install of Etch to SATA HDDs for MyBook World?

Dan:

This is very intersting!

I haven't done anything with any of those NASes yet. Do you know how the
boot process works on them, and how to modify it? We would like to know
how to replace WD's kernel in flash, for instance.

Generally you can debootstrap --foreign from i386, but in order to run
stage 2 you would need either a real arm environment or an emulator. (qemu)

Depending on how far you've gotten to that box's internals, it might be
possible to put the debootstrap into a subdirectory, stick the disk back
into the MyBook and then run stage 2.

Any description of how far you've gotten is much appreciated.

BTW: Your email seems to contain no linebreaks, making it inconvenient
to quote. Can you configure automatic linebreaks at 72 chars please? Thanks!

Good luck
--
Kevin Price
http://www.kevin-price.de/