RE: "offline" install of Etch to SATA HDDs for MyBook World?

Thanks for that; since I'm an IT guy and haven't done any embedded work (gee, am I on the wrong platform here? ;-) ) , I'll have to dig into that one a bit more, but it does look quite promising.

> > Also, WD does put the source code for everything on the MyBook WEII on their website
>
> Wow, I had no idea....  :)
>
> Is this thing a better option than an NSLU2, for those with the budget?  Hmmm...

Actually, I just got the MyBooks b/c I saw them on the shelf at Costco and needed quick, abundant storage for a backup job.  Then I found out that these units SUCK as NAS boxes in a Windows environment (which isn't to say that they suck altogether, just as NAS boxes on a Windows network):  (1) they don't use an NTFS filesystem, and therefore have no way of storing NTFS ACLs (unless Samba is more sophisticated than I think); (2) they use an EXT3 filesystem, which in itself is fine, but ext3 has different timestamp granularity than NTFS, so when I go to use Robocopy on Windows to put stuff onto the MyBook, I have to use the "/FFT" (fat file time) switch to loosen-up on the FT granularity; and most of all, (3) I read plenty of places that this device doesn't even come close to true gigabit throughput on the NIC - after some digging, I found that the weak link in the system is the clock rate of the ARM CPU, which can only get the transfer speed up to a few hundred Mbps.  Not what I want to hear for a NAS device.  Anyone ever tried overclocking a MyBook?!?...

Then I started digging into the various "hack your MyBook" web sites and thought that it would be nice to put smaller HDs into the boxes and make a web server from one and an FTP server from the other; in any case, I think the ARM should be able to keep up with the maximum throughput that our Internet connection bandwidth will allow ;-)

Anyway, I never heard of the NSLU2 until now; after looking at its Wikipedia entry, it seems that the NSLU2 would be infinitely better as a NAS box on a Windows network (NTFS, for one), if its CPU can pull 1 Gbps through the NIC, or at least the majority of it...

Thabnks again.

-Dan Jonsen

> b.g.
> --