Re: "offline" install of Etch to SATA HDDs for MyBook World?

Jonsen, Dan wrote:

> Do any of you know of a way to use an i386 Etch workstation to install a binary ARM distribution onto an "additional" set of HDs?

I don't know about etch, but I use sid/lenny and debootstrap to create armel
images all the time.  Use the --foreign parameter.

The tricky part might be how to invoke the --second-stage.  Maybe you could pass
init=/debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage on the kernel command line, but it
will probably be more complicated than that because you need to mount proc and
export $PATH before debootstrap will complete.  On all the targets I work with,
I have a console of some type (usually serial) to control the device with.

> Also, WD does put the source code for everything on the MyBook WEII on their website

Wow, I had no idea....  :)

Is this thing a better option than an NSLU2, for those with the budget?  Hmmm...

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@billgatliff.com