Re: Installing debian on N2100

Andrew Haswell wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Winters" <john@sinodun.org.uk>
Andrew Haswell wrote:
[snip]
can you give me some advice as to what partitions to create, can i get away with just root and swap or is it worth considering more granularity.

I will install Debian on 1 HDD to start and add the other in after, mirror the debian partitions, then create data partitions.

How big are your hard discs?

I've got 2x 500GB Seagate Drives in it at the moment, i doubt i will
ever do anything particularly taxing with it on the linux side, will
probably use it for a LAMP type install, samba, then usual media
software.

I'd probably go for some variation on my usual set-up there.  A 10G
partition on each disc, RAIDed with RAID1 for /.  Then perhaps a 1G
partition on each, again RAID1, for swap.  Then put the whole of the
rest of each disc into a single large partition, again RAID1, but use
the resulting device as a physical volume for LVM and allocate LVs from
that as needed.

HTH
John