To: <debian-arm@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: Installing debian on N2100

Andrew Haswell wrote:
Hi,

I've been waiting to see if the installer will get fixed so i can install Debian on my Thecus n2100. My skillset is wintel based not Linux which is to say that i am highly technical and i would like to use my n2100 to cross train. As the installer doesnt seem to be getting fixed, can anyone advise me whether i should attempt the work around or not? Ive got the latest firmware on the thecus and can ssh into the box. I would like to get debian on it and then use LVM to raid 1 a portion of the disk for data protection including the debian mount points. And from there learn Debian in more detail.

I would like to do this as a project over christmas, im just worried about getting stranded. Advice greatfully received.

I've just done it and the problems with the installer are much over-rated. If you hadn't been for-warned about them you'd barely
notice them.

Firstly - *don't* use the daily build from the armel project. I tried this and nearly scuppered myself. Use the official image from the Debian site and just follow the instructions.

Half way through the "Install base system" phase you'll get a red screen and a complaint about being unable to install the kernel. Just choose "Go back", then "Continue" and you're at a menu showing all the stages. Choose "Install base system" again and when it whinges about some packages being part installed just tell it to go ahead anyway. About 10 minutes later it will offer you a list of kernels to choose from - choose the 2.6.18-5-iop32x one and proceed as per the instructions.

The thing is barely broken at all.  Go ahead and do it is my advice.

HTH
John