Re: restricted sourceless ARM uploads

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 03:11:45PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> A prime example is the "tar" testsuite which is very picky about
> filesystem behaviour.
> - With a real ARM CPU building on local (USB) storage, it passes all tests
> - With a real ARM CPU over NFS the testsuite fails one test (cyclic renames)
> - From QEMU in a locally-mounted nfsroot it fails a dozen tests.
> - Building with QEMU in an NBD volume passes all tests.

Clock skew, I guess?

That seems to be most of the answer. NFS timestamps files with the
server's clock, while on NBD the entire filesystem structure is
client-dependent.
Our ARM systems, both real and emulated, are losing between 2 and 3
seconds wallclock time per minute and I had a once-a-minute shell
script scrabbling to keep the local clock synchronised with the
server. I am hoping that ntpd will do a better job of it.