Re: complaints about systemd

On 10/17/2014 02:38 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
On 9 October 2014 19:49, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 09:25:23AM -0700, Ray Andrews wrote:
> Can *anything* justify creating a problem that can't be debugged?

I noticed on a reboot yesterday that there was a 5 minute countdown
shutting down samba by the looks of it.  Seems to be bug #762002.

I suppose that this invalidates one of the functionality claims that was part
of the basis for adoption...

Well, they certainly write a glowing review of themselves, do they not?
That's a very well written and convincing doc, but it does seem that not
enough attention has been paid to the issues that have been raised here.

On my system I get strange messages about 'start jobs' and 'stop jobs' which
come with one minute, thirty second countdowns.  I don't know why it has to
be 90 seconds, would 60 seconds not do the trick? 30 seconds just totally wrong?

Still, the big question is: are these fixable glitches and bugs, or do they point
to those deeper, fundamental problems that we've talked about?

But, to be devil's advocate: One thing about the systemd doc above that struck me
as a sound argument was that starting a service is ... starting a service, and that
whereas that mostly happens at init, it makes sense that whatever code/method
is used to do it at init may as well be used generally. No?