Re: complaints about systemd

On 9 October 2014 19:49, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 09:25:23AM -0700, Ray Andrews wrote:
> Can *anything* justify creating a problem that can't be debugged?

I noticed on a reboot yesterday that there was a 5 minute countdown
shutting down samba by the looks of it.  Seems to be bug #762002.

I suppose that this invalidates one of the functionality claims that was part
of the basis for adoption...

Specifically...

https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/systemd
  "Systemd is incredibly fast (1 second to boot). It was not designed with
   speed in mind, but doing things correctly avoids all the delays currently
   incurred by the boot process."

If there are conditions where it takes 5 minutes, that's a pretty clear
indication of falsity...  I should think that there may be acceptable
counterexamples, but it should be decently documented as to
what kinds of cases are expected to fail to be quick.

I would think that part of the process of arguing that Debian should
"roll back" the SystemD change involves going back to the debate
material, and demonstrating that there are claims about the behaviour
of SystemD that are materially wrong.