Re: boot screen

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 07:18:36PM -0400, Philip Bernstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Thank you for the pointer to the web site.  I tried setting vga=ask
> and that worked.  When I rebooted it asked me to choose from 6 different
> settings (they were all 80 x 20 or 80 x 50 0F01or 80 x 60 0F07).  I
> chose 80 x 60 and it continued to boot up and I was able to see the "ok"
> on the right hand side (which is what I wanted).  But the story doesn't
> end here.
>   After the system came up I edited the menu.lst file and added
> "vga=0F07" to the boot line.   Then I rebooted.  Well during the system
> shutting down, there was nothing but garbage on the screen (it did close
> the desktop and the rest of the apps normally).  It was just scrambled
> nonsense.  Then the system was coming back up and guess what, thats
> right it ignored the "vga=0F07" and booted as it always does with the

silly question did you run update-grub ?

> right hand side off the screen????  But if I changed the line back to
> "vga=ask" it works fine when I choose the 0F07 setting.
>   Sorry didn't mean to ramble here just trying to be thorogh with what
> happened.  Thank you for those web sites though.  They have lots of good
> info.
>
> Phil
>
> C M Reinehr wrote:
>> Philip,

[snip]

--
"In this job you've got a lot on your plate on a regular basis; you don't have much time to sit around and wander, lonely, in the Oval Office, kind of asking different portraits, 'How do you think my standing will be?'"

	- George W. Bush
03/16/2005
Washington, DC