boot screen

Hi,

I have several systems and on them when I boot I can see all the info scroll across the screen with OK or FAIL (on the right hand side)
depending on how things go (in menu.lst I have removed from the boot
lines "splash" so I don't get the boot splash).
But on my amd64 system the boot messages are quite large and I can't see
the OK or FAIL indicators (on the right hand side of the display).  Now
on the other systems I see that there is on the boot line in menu.lst
"vga=791". I tried to put that in the amd64 menu.lst and all I get is a
blank screen during boot up. After the system boots, everything is fine and get my graphics back and all works. Anyone notice this during there boot up and found how to reduce the graphics on boot up so you can see whats going on?

--
Philip Bernstein
ppberns@hvc.rr.com