my nvidia 3D acceleration seems to have conked out.....

Dear Folks,

I started using a big 37" TV/computer monitor with a AMD64 3200 box I have with an Nvidia 8500GT card in it.  For a time I had the Nvidia card correctly configured and the kernel modified.  I think the kernel is still OK, but now the 3D graphics acceleration has conked out.

spc1-burn4-0-0-cust452:/home/mikef# glxinfo |grep rendering
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
spc1-burn4-0-0-cust452:/home/mikef#

I have been upgrading when packages are available as lenny/sid on this machine.  Could I have installed new packages that have messed up the nvidia card function?

My aptitude source file looks like this:

spc1-burn4-0-0-cust452:/etc/apt# more sources.list
#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Lenny_ - Official Snapshot amd64 DVD Bina
ry-1 20080407-11:52]/ lenny contrib main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Lenny_ - Official Snapshot amd64 DVD Binary
-5 20080407-11:52]/ lenny contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Lenny_ - Official Snapshot amd64 DVD Binary
-4 20080407-11:52]/ lenny contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Lenny_ - Official Snapshot amd64 DVD Binary
-3 20080407-11:52]/ lenny contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Lenny_ - Official Snapshot amd64 DVD Binary
-2 20080407-11:52]/ lenny contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Lenny_ - Official Snapshot amd64 DVD Binary
-1 20080407-11:52]/ lenny contrib main
#
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org sid main contrib non-free
deb http://javadesktop.org/lg3d/debian testing contrib

spc1-burn4-0-0-cust452:/etc/apt#

Could you download e.g. some update to the kernel without noticing it too much that abolished or interfered with the nvidia card configuration etc?

Also this monitor (definia polaroid 37" TLU 03732B) has a maximum resolution which I think from the Xlog output is not directly recognised by nvidia drivers.  Its resolution is 1360 x 768 as far as I can tell but if you put exactly this in the xorg.conf file you get a flickering somewhat miserable screen.

It works best at present if you give it 1280 x 768 which the Xorg output seems to show it adjusting as best it can with this starting resolution that I think nvidia drivers do know about.

I am going to re-read all the stuff in the Debian nvidia howto and see if I can't get the nvidia card working again.

Your comments are appreciated here.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000009ukm/direct/01/