Re: boot screen

On Friday 23 May 2008 23.56.31 Philip Bernstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    Thanks but I probably should have given out more info here.  That
> file or path does not exist on my system.  I am running on an AMD64 bit
> machine with a Nvidia graphics card (GeForce 7300GT) 2 gig memory.  In
> my /usr/src directory I have the following:
> "linux-headers-2.6.24-17-generic"  I ran find on it and came up with:
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-17-generic/include/config/fb/vesa.h which
> in this case is a zero byte file.  I am running Kubuntu 8.04 with all
> the latest updates (this worked this way even in Kubuntu 7.10).

Hi,

The file vesafb.txt is from the documentation bundled with the kernel source.
Heres an excerpt from vesafb.txt that documents the possible VESA video
modes:

    | 640x480  800x600  1024x768 1280x1024
256 |  0x301    0x303    0x305    0x307
32k |  0x310    0x313    0x316    0x319
64k |  0x311    0x314    0x317    0x31A
16M |  0x312    0x315    0x318    0x31B

I don't know anything about Kubuntu's kernel configuration, but you can check
the output from the vesafb kernel code by running 'dmesg | grep vesafb' in an
terminal to verify that the kernel supports vesafb and can access the video
memory direct.

// Anders