Re: flash for etch amd64?

in the freeze of etch nspluginwrapper 0.9.91.3-1+b1 use libc6 >= 2.3.5
I suppose you could use snapshot.debian.net to obtain that version
that works very good until now in etch

On 7/3/07, Dave Witbrodt <dawitbro@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Alan Ianson wrote:
>> It would appear that it requries the nspluginwrapper to work.
>>
>> This is new ground for me.  I don't suppose that I could pull the deb
>> and install it with dpkg, have it appear in aptitude as locally
>> installed/obsolete and have it work?  Or does it rely on newer versions
>> of libs than are in Etch?
>
> When I am in a situation like that I create (if it doesn't already
> exist) /etc/apt/apt.conf with this in it..
>
> APT::Default-Release "stable";
>
> Then and lenny/testing lines to /etc/apt/sources.list. As long as you
> have that in your apt.conf apt and aptitude will always keep your
> system at stable, but you still have testing packages available when
> needed.

   Be careful here.  Etch uses 'libc6' version 2.3.6, but the
'nspluginwrapper' in Lenny and Sid is built against 'libc6'
version 2.5-5!
   If your package manager brings in all of the dependencies needed
for 'nspluginwrapper' from Lenny (testing), then you could end up with
a seriously broken system.  I'm guessing that the APT tools will not
do this -- not without giving you a big warning, anyway.

   The next idea would be to "backport" the package, which should be
fairly automatic given the Debian packaging system.  Unfortunately,
the Debian sources for those packages also put dependencies on
'nspluginwrapper' sources for 'libc6' and 'gcc' that are higher than
versions available for Etch!  Bummer.

   The upstream sources really don't have all of these burdensome
dependency requirements, so if someone was kind it should be possible
to build packages for 'nspluginwrapper' that will run on Etch.
   You could try this:

        http://www.dipconsultants.com/debian/

I have not tried this yet -- maybe will try later today -- so the
packages may not exist or may be out of date, or something.  It's the
only repository I've been able to locate with Etch packages of
'nspluginwrapper'.  I also cannot speak for the security of these
packages -- my apologies to the folks at DIP Consultants if they are
fine, upstanding folks! -- so you may want to think twice about
installing them at all.  In my case, I have just gotten my first AMD64
up and running, and have created a temporary install where I am
investigating, playing, learning, and taking massive amounts of notes
for a final reinstall later, so I'll be installing these packages (if
they are there) just to see if they work -- and if they are trojans
then, well, I'm just going to blow away this temporary install anyway!
  ;-)

HTH,
Dave W.