Re: install-mbr on amd64?

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 04:29:36PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> You have to trick grub-install. Say /boot is on /dev/md0, a raid1 of
>> /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. Then you can put /dev/sda1 into devices.map,
>> instal-grub, repeat for sdb1. You might have to change fstab and/or
>> mtab as well. Can't remeber if that is truely needed.
>>
>> But grub-install also has some special code for raids. Why it doesn't
>> work or isn't good enough should be someones TODO. Maybe we could make
>> that a NM job :)
>
> grub-install works fine here with /boot on a raid1.  It has ever since
> sarge was released (raid1 support was added sometime in early 2005 it
> seems).  No tricks required.
>
> Len Sorensen

Then pull a disk (the right one) and see it stop booting. From
grub-install:

# Usage: getraid_mdadm mddevice
# Routine to find a physical device from an md device
# If found, the first grub BIOS device (from device.map) is returned
# If no BIOS drives match the RAID devices, the first device returned
# from mdadm -D is returned

Only one of your disks is bootable. By setting up each device in
device.map in turn you get grub on each of them.

MfG
        Goswin