Re: install-mbr on amd64?

"Dmitry I. Kulagin" <dik@ufp.appl.sci-nnov.ru> writes:

> Hi!
> I use ms-sys with "-s" option just a week ago in simular situation.
> As far as I know, you can't indicate grub to load from /dev/md0, only
> lilo can do this.
> And there is no need to recompile the kernel, the debian distributed
> kernel with the yaird as
> initrd creator can load the system in your situation.

You have to trick grub-install. Say /boot is on /dev/md0, a raid1 of
/dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. Then you can put /dev/sda1 into devices.map,
instal-grub, repeat for sdb1. You might have to change fstab and/or
mtab as well. Can't remeber if that is truely needed.

But grub-install also has some special code for raids. Why it doesn't
work or isn't good enough should be someones TODO. Maybe we could make
that a NM job :)

MfG
        Goswin