Re: install-mbr on amd64?

Kilian wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm trying to set up a software RAID 1 (two disks) with Debian on a
> system with an AMD x86_64 Athlon processor. To install the MBR on both
> discs, I need install-mbr (http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/mbr)
> if I'm correct, but this package does not exist in the amd64 port... I
> then tried to compile it myself, which fails, obviously, because the
> package has not been ported to x86_64 yet as it seems (and I lack the
> knowledge to do so...).
>
> I'm a bit stuck now.. what other tools can I use?

You don't say what boot loader you're using, but if you are using grub,
you can simply install the MBR to the second disk using the grub terminal.

Run grub, then from the grub prompt (and assuming your boot partition is
the first partition on the disk):

MBR on the first disk:

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)

MBR on the second disk:

grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd1)

And then you're done:

grub> quit

Grub supports tab completion, so if you put in

grub> root (hd

and hit the tab key, it will show the valid drive numbers.  It will do
the same for the partitions if you hit tab after:

grub> root (hd1,

to help you pick the correct partition.  Remember, all numbers are
zero-origin, so if the parition holding /boot is /dev/sda1, its
partition number will be 0 in grub.

And, as always, a bootable grub disk as a safety measure is highly
recommended.

-Scott