Re: How to install nvidia driver

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 10:47:46AM +0000, Tony Power wrote:
> On 11/21/05, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml@fatooh.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi again!
> > > Now I have another problem.
> > > After installing nvidia drivers, my consoles (ctrl+alt+F1,F2,...) have a
> > > diferent color. Not the normal black and white.
> > > Now I get blue (background) and white (characters) consoles, and most of
> > the
> > > times, fuzzy blue and white. Sometimes I get a complete white screen (no
> > > charaters) that shows coloured lines progressively.
> > > Anybody knows why is that?
> >
> > I've never seen that before, and I probably can't help. I have a few
> > questions, though.
> >
> > 1. At what point are your consoles messed up? Do they look weird right
> > after
> > the nvidia module loads, or only after you start X and switch back to a
> > console?
>
>  They get messed up after I start X and then switch to console mode. (blue
> and white)
> And when I kill X with ctrl+alt+backspace (complete white screen)

I've had this before.  I'm not sure if the problem is with the video
chip itself or the way it is integrated into the system, but basically
your VGA font memory and possibly some other VGA settings aren't
being restored properly.

I used to have a shell script that would fix this for me, but I can't
find it.  IIRC it was just a simple command something like

consolechars --char-height=8

or something like that.  The console wasn't perfect after that, but
quite useable.  I put it into a shell script that was easy to type
blindly, because until you run it, you can't see anything.

I'm pretty sure switching to using a frame buffer would fix this, but
I've never had much luck running a frame buffer setup.

Cheers,