Tony Power wrote:

Hi!
I can't do:
* "dpkg -i nvidia-set*"
Because I didn't get any nvidia-set*.
Is this a problem?

    http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html
    <http://home.comcast.net/%7Eandrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html>

    >>>This tutorial is very nice, but I am not sure if it is an
    >>>official debian recommendation and if it will work for AMD64
    >>>too.
    >>>
    >>>Can you comment on this? Are there other tutorials around? Will I
    >>>have only textmode available until I install the nvidia driver,
    >>>or will the X-Org driver give me  an unaccelerated graphical
    >>>display?
    >>>

    >>You can use the "nv" driver in the mean time. That's what I have
    been using
    >>here and it works fine. I don't know for sure what the
    difference is but I
    >>think if you want 3D acceleration (for gaming) you may need the
    nvidia
    >>drivers. I've been trying to get them installed too, so I'll be
    watching
    >>this thread.
    >>

    >The difference, at least to my eyes, is much better font
    rendering and a
    >generally over all shaper image with the nvidia drivers compared
    to nv. I
    >didn't realize that a driver could make so much difference but
    switching to
    >nvidia after using nv for a while was like getting a new monitor.
    >
    >Having said that I can't get the nvidia drivers to work with
    2.6.14 but they
    >work fine with 2.6.12.
    >
    >Graham

    2.6.14 requires newer drivers than those in sarge or sid:

    * add "deb-src http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian experimental main contrib
    non-free" to /etc/apt/sources.list
    * go to a new empty folder
    * "apt-get update"
    * "apt-get source -t experimental nvidia-glx"
    * "apt-get build-dep nvidia-glx"
    * "cd nvidia*"
    * "dpkg-buildpackage"
    * "cd .."
    * "dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-source*"
    * "apt-get install module-assistant build-essential"
    * "cat /proc/version" - make sure your kernel's gcc is installed (e.g.
    gcc-3.4 must be installed if your kernel was compiled with gcc 3.4.x)
    * "wget
    ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/n/nvidia-kernel-common/nvidia-kernel-common_20051028+1_all.deb";
    <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/n/nvidia-kernel-common/nvidia-kernel-common_20051028+1_all.deb%22>
    * "dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-common*"
    * "m-a a-i nvidia"
    * "dpkg -i nvidia-glx_*"
    * "dpkg -i nvidia-glx-i*"
    * "dpkg -i nvidia-set*"

    Change your X server as per usual. I think some people make their
    generated packages available on the web.

    --Jo Shields