Re: How to install nvidia driver

On 11/21/05, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml@fatooh.org> wrote:
> Hi again!
> Now I have another problem.
> After installing nvidia drivers, my consoles (ctrl+alt+F1,F2,...) have a
> diferent color. Not the normal black and white.
> Now I get blue (background) and white (characters) consoles, and most of the
> times, fuzzy blue and white. Sometimes I get a complete white screen (no
> charaters) that shows coloured lines progressively.
> Anybody knows why is that?

I've never seen that before, and I probably can't help. I have a few
questions, though.

1. At what point are your consoles messed up? Do they look weird right after
the nvidia module loads, or only after you start X and switch back to a
console?

They get messed up after I start X and then switch to console mode. (blue and white)
And when I kill X with ctrl+alt+backspace (complete white screen)

2. Are you using a framebuffer console or plain old text-only?

I'm not using frame buffer, although it's enabled on the kernel.

3. Do these problems go away (at least temporarily) when you turn your
machine completely off and then on again?

Yap! It only messes up when I switch to console or kill X.
If I kill X from console (/etc/init.d/gdm stop) I don't get the white screen.

-Corey