Re: RAID

lordSauron wrote:

okay... so, let's just say that hypothetically I choose to be a little
less than intelligent and try to use the motherboard built-in software
RAID.  Would that work?

Also, I'm a little skeptical of Linux's software RAID being better
(ie. faster) than my motherboards.  Is there any statistics I can look
at in regard to this?

Once more, thanks for your considerable patience in dealing with me -
someday I might evolve into a semi-respectable linux sub-guru...

Don't have any numbers to point you toward, but I would expect them to be pretty much the same. In either case, your CPU handles the mirroring/striping. One method (linux or your motherboard's controller) may just be more efficient about it than the other.