Re: Software RAID, LVM, and LILO on amd64 sarge

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 09:04:08AM +0000, A J Stiles wrote:
> If you are using software RAID then you must have a /boot partition which is a
> non-RAID, ext3 or ext2 partition; and a separate swap partition on each drive

Note that this isn't true for RAID1 (mirroring); LILO can load the
kernel directly from that.

> {you don't need RAID on swap; if that goes down, the kernel's going down
> anyway.  Not to mention it's a serious performance issue}.  Note, the

RAID1 on swap means a failed disk should not take the kernel down.

I'm using it here, although I also have enough RAM that I shouldn't
need to swap very often.

Hamish