Re: Mirror list

On 10/31/05, Mark Nipper <nipsy@bitgnome.net> wrote:
> On 30 Oct 2005, lordSauron wrote:
> > Cool.
>
>         The initial rsync is done.  I'm pulling from
> debian.csail.mit.edu currently twice a day.  I'll set up to be a
> push server as soon as our networking group opens 22/tcp through
> the campus firewall.  The URL is:
> ---
> http://mirror.tamu.edu/debian-amd64/

Awesome.  I'll try plugging that into my sources.list file later after
a bit more boring, required work is done.

> > > down/768Kbps up cable connection at home.  I think we currently
> > > pay around $120,000USD for the OC-12 at work.
> > >
> > A month or a year?  That's an insane connection rate.. you've probably
> > got a fibre LAN going in the building, right?  Otherwise you'd be
> > somewhat disabled by anything less than gigabit ethernet.  They'll let
> > you host that at your workplace though...
>
>         That is per year.  We have several pieces of fiber from
> our campus to Verizon (local phone provider).  OC circuits use a
> different frame type separate from ethernet (see SONET/SDH
> information at Wikipedia if you want more information).  We have
> a lot more than just data running across the fiber to the telco.

SEVERAL????  Now I can believe $120,000/year.  Give me your building
addresses - I'm going to find you a cheaper provider.  I want to see
if a really good company called Hurricane Electric is right for you -
they offer GIG-E connections, which is basically a gigabit ethernet
connection to the internet.  But no, you shouldn't be spending a
eighth the cost of my house annually for internet.  If you can get me
this info, I can find you something cheaper:

1) building addresses
2) number of connections required per address (or the total bandwidth required)

No, I'm not some weird Rasputin-esque rapist, I'm just one of the
worlds greatest ranking tightwads who can't bear to see money spent,
and I chafe greatly at the sight of money wasted.  You're paying far
too much and I need to find you some better service, even if I end up
having to drive out to Texas and install it myself (I've offered to
break through sheetrock to install a network connection in a public
school before, so I'm normally this way, okay?)

> > Yes, Texas would be in my neck of the woods (I'm in California, so not
> > *that* close, but closer than all the many German mirrors).
>
>         I'm not sure if you were aware of debian.csail.mit.edu
> previously, but it should have been faster than the European
> mirrors for you.  Anyway, try it or mine and see if things are
> better.

Yeah, goto Google Maps (www.maps.google.com) and goto Pleasanton
California.  That's where I live.  Then find Amador Valley High
School.  That's where I go to school.  I suggest veiwing in
"composite" map mode, since that's the best blend of the local veiw
and street directions.  I won't tell you driectly where I live, since
that's not smart on the internet, but I think you can safely tell me
where your college is (you're just saving me the time of hunting down
the addresses myself, and telling me how many connections you need).

I tell you my city location b/c the espri.arizona mirror is closer
than Michigan, but it's still not that fast...  I'll try your new
mirror to see how good it is.  Since I'm rather new to Debian (only
had it for about 2 months now) could you tell me the deb and deb-src
entries I'd want to tell apt-get to use?  I'm not terribly good at
these things yet...  I'm still rather proud of myself for getting
beyond text mode and getting KDE installed.

--
=== GCB v3.1 ===